poorly gosling

Discussion in 'Geese' started by janet184, Aug 13, 2014.

1. janet184

janet184 New Egg

Aug 13, 2014
    Hi. We have three ducks and two goslings. The youngest gosling approx 4 months has been ill. She is still talking, but not as loud as usual. She looks exhausted. She can walk and is eating and drinking a bit, but she is slow, can be unstable and just looks sad. She has not run for 3 days. Kids have put her in the bath and she is just squeeking a bit and moving a bit. She has no marks on her. Please can someone give me a bit of advice. Thank you

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like a niacin dif. to me, if you are feeding chick feed then most likely it is unless she has eaten something toxic, but I'd get her on some plain niacin 250 mgs crushed and mixed into a 1 gal of water this has to be her only drinking water for now, niacin dif can cause weakness of the legs and neurological issues and death if not treated. Also Nutritional yeast or brewers yeast can be added to their feed. this will not hurt any of the other ducks and goose either. What are you feeding and do they graze on grass? chopped romaine lettuce is also good for them. {Not baking yeast]

3. janet184

janet184 New Egg

Aug 13, 2014
    Thank you for yr reply. we got her the medicine but unfortunately passed away today. she was eating a mix of poultry food as well as grass, she also ate some of my lettuce from my veggie plot, kids are so sad, she was their favorite. other birds are really healthy.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your gosling. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by