lydiaig

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
In the last 2 days our ex-battery hen has been lethargic, her behaviour has changed (she usually comes to the coop door when I let her out and follows me round the garden but she has not moved much), she is not as alert and her poo has been watery and white.

She hasn't been eating and her crop feels full (though I can't be sure I'm checking correctly). From googling we took away her food in case it was sour crop.

I've checked again this morning and it feels the same - as if there is still food in there. She is much more alert and moving around. Her poo now has bits in but is still not fully formed. She still isn't quite right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have had her for nearly a year and she is an otherwise healthy chicken, despite her tough start to life.

Thanks in advance
Lydia

last 2 days our ex-battery hen has been lethargic, her behaviour has changed
she is not as alert and her poo has been watery and white.
She hasn't been eating and her crop feels full (though I can't be sure I'm checking correctly). From googling we took away her food in case it was sour crop.
I've checked again this morning and it feels the same - as if there is still food in there. She is much more alert and moving around. Her poo now has bits in but is still not fully formed.
Welcome To BYC!
Can you post some photos of the hen and her poop?
Does she still lay eggs?

If the crop had not emptied by morning with you withholding food, then she has a crop issue. Sometimes this is symptom of something else going on - like reproductive issues (is her abdomen bloated?), worms, coccidiosis or infection.

The article below is helpful in determining which treatment you can use. She does need to keep hydrated.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom