Poorly Hen ... any advice would be greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lisadickenson22, Oct 27, 2016.

1. lisadickenson22

lisadickenson22 New Egg

Oct 27, 2016
    Wicklow
    Hi,
    One of my hens has stopped laying, first a few of her eggs were soft shell but now for the past week she hasn't laid at all. Her comb is a dark red colour and she's not herself at all.
    I'm not sure what to do, has this happened to anyone? Any advice would be great! Thank you [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lisadickenson22, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community but sorry it's under these circumstances. I'd advise posting, but with even greater detail - age of the bird, how large a flock, diet, geographical location, etc. - in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures Be as detailed as possible. Also, since she seems to be the only one affected and you mentioned soft shelled eggs, here is a link to an article about egg abnormalities that may shed some light https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Redsox gave you great advice and links I highly recommend reading. Good luck figuring out what is amiss! I hope you enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is she a older hen? She and others may slow down or stop laying as the daylight hours grow shorter. Sometimes they will not resume laying till spring.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

It sounds like she may be suffering from a reproductive issue. The first step whenever you have a sick or even potentially sick bird is to segregate it somewhere warm and quiet. Beyond that, you should post a detailed description of your issue in the ER forum linked above by the very knowledgable @redsoxs.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. lisadickenson22

lisadickenson22 New Egg

Oct 27, 2016
    Wicklow
    Hi everyone, thank you all for the lovely welcome and advice. It turns out our Hen was egg bound, our vet said it was kinder to put her to sleep :( our other ladies are perfect happy hens. This forum is great and I have learned loads from your posts. :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by