Poorly Hen

leebottrill

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
So ive noticed one of my girls has been a bit lethargic recently. Today i noticed her standing still struggling to keep her eyes open. I inspected her and saw that she had a clump of faeces on here vent feathers, but it was like a smelly yellow and greeny colour. I cleaned her off and inspected her tummy. Shes lumpy and hard under the vent. Shes also sat awkwardly.

My concers are egg Egg Peritonitis and or respiratory problems.

Any advise before i take her to the vet?

Thanks guys :)

They can have labored breathing from egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, and ascites (fluid in the belly.) Could you post a picture of her vent? Fluid can be removed by an 18 gauge needle on occasion to relieve fluid, which can relieve pain and pressure on breathing. Cancer is also a very common illness in chickens. Not much can be done to cure any of those illnesses. Antibiotics can be used in EYP, but there is not always much improvement. If you go to the vet, let us know what you find out.

Hi there, yes i will post a photo of her vent when i go out there in a minute. I have also noticed that she is head twitching, could that be related or is that a sign of something else?

this youtube video is whats happening

Last edited:
Hi guys, she hadn't improved so i took her to the vets, they (sort of) confirmed it was egg binding and gave her a shot of calcium. The vet said 'because shes an old bird its not worth doing anything to intrusive!' I am thinking that i will keep an eye on her for a few days and if she starts to become distressed i will have to dispatch her. (not going to pay the vet a fortune to do it)

I have never killed a chicken. Whats the best way?

Back
Top Bottom