Poorly hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DoraHexplorer, Feb 14, 2014.

1. DoraHexplorer

DoraHexplorer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2014
    I've had chickens for 5 years and just this week bought 4 rather raggedy looking chicks from a dealer, I took one as she was all pecked around her back end and needed some tlc but I've noticed that she is contracting constantly around her back end also and her breathing is deep, she's eating a lot and walking around with the others but could anyone advise me if she may be egg bound or suffering another illness? Many thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

She could be egg bound. You can put on a latex glove with some KY jelly on the index finger and insert it into her vent. You should be able to feel the egg if it is stuck there. If it is, you can do two things. Fill up your kitchen sink with warm water. Not hot, but warm. Soak her lower half and over her back, making sure her vent and internal parts like the uterus and oviduct is soaking. Hold her there for about 10 or 15 mins. This will usually get a stuck egg to move within 30 mins. If it doesn't, give her a calcium pill. You can crush it up and get her to eat it on or in something. If you don't have any calcium, even a tums will work. The soaking and the calcium will get a stuck egg out within an hour or so.

Has she been wormed lately? An over load of worms in the intestinal tract will cause straining because the worms are blocking the GI tract.

Good luck with your hen. I hope you can get her back to health soon! Oh and if she has any injuries to her body, use some blu-kote on the area to help with infection and keep the others from pecking at her.

Enjoy BYC!

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and make sure to dry her off before you take her back outside so she does not chill. :)

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your sick hen, hope she gets better.

6. DoraHexplorer

Feb 14, 2014
    Ahhhh thank you all for the lovely warm welcome and the fantastic tips, ill do as you say and get the blukote (which incidentally my iPhone just predicted that word as bullied!) and I'll try the soaking to help her along. Poor little hen and we haven't named her yet as she's so new . Most grateful for all your help.

7. DoraHexplorer

Feb 14, 2014
    Oh and I doubt they have been wormed as they're from a dealer and only just 20 weeks, ill get some of the wormer powder and the calcium tablets thanks again
    !

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Don't wait too long if she is egg bound. This sort of thing can cause prolapse or even kill her. Also, always make sure they are on layer feed and have oyster shell on the side at all times. I hope your hen will be ok. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by