poorly hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madonna1963, Feb 18, 2015.

1. madonna1963

madonna1963 New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    We found our peakin hen poorly a few days ago she was puffed up and very lathargic so we bought her in the warmth she is eating and drinking and her poo looks ok when she goes to sleep she sleeps with her bum in the air if she wasn't so poorly i could laugh giveen her some nutri boost to see if that would anybody any anwsers would be very gratefull

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would check inside her vent for a stuck egg with a finger inserted 1-2 inches (wear a rubber glove.) She could have worms or coccidiosis. Valbazen and SafeGuard liquid goat wormer are very good wormers. Coccidiosis can be treated with Corid (amprollium) in the water for 5 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. She has some of the symptoms of coccidiosis which also include diarrhea or blood in droppings, and a poor appetite. I would also check her to make sure that she is not broody if she is spending her time in a nest box.

3. madonna1963

madonna1963 New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Thankyou she hasn't got diarrhoea and there is no blood,she is eating and drinking we did check to see if there was an egg stuck but we just felt round there so i have to check her the other way then

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  4. madonna1963

madonna1963 New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Got a 3 week old bantom chick who can't stand up properly bought her in 4 days ago little bit better but now she seems to be panting what can be wrong with her

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may be dehydrated or be sick. Coccidiosis can start to be a problem at this age, and especially if chicks are exposed to cocci in the soil or from other chickens. Corid in the water is the best treatment. Start some electrolytes and vitamins in the water, and feed her with a dropper if needed. Gatorade or Pedialyte are good substitutes, until you get the Corid from a feed store, cattle medicines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by