Poorly lady, please help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debsbro, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Debsbro

Debsbro Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

I have a poorly lady. As you can see from the photo how age has changed.
    She is a 2 yr old miss pepper pot
    We haven't had any eggs from her for quite a few months now
    She just stands around falling asleep
    She hasn't got any swelling anywhere
    Drinking and eating

Any ideas

2. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Oh dear. There are dozens of things that might be wrong, and it'd be a guess at best to even try to figure it out. We need some more information.

Check her over, head to toe, front to rear. Note anything out of the ordinary! She looks pale in the photo, is that accurate? Does her abdomen feel more firm or hard than it should? How does her breathing sound? How are her droppings? Check very, very closely for mites or lice. Has she been wormed recently (and if so, with what?)? Please let us know what you find so that we can better help you figure it out.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    molting? ,worms?and what sort of feed are you feeding her.My Barred rock went through a heavy molt.She was listless,pale comb and wattles.and she has not laided since Nov.She has just starting to come around.

4. Debsbro

May 19, 2012
    Yes she is pale.
    She just feels bones all over but is still eating.
    She has layer pellets, which she has had since she was young
    Droppings are white and runny
    When she is stood her tails has dropped
    As you can see her comb and wattles are ahrunk

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The very first things I would consider are internal and external parasites. Check her carefully for lice or mites. Check the roost at night with a flashlight to see if there are mites visible. If she has not been on a regular deworming program then that could be the issue. With her weight loss and very pale coloring that would be my first suspicion. Other then that, very hard to determine. As Nambroth said, it could be many things. Egg laying/reproductive tract problems are common, as are cancers or other tumors and diseases. But, start with the most common and easily fixed possibilities for now, parasites, and work you way out from there.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Agreed. Without knowing more, just based on what you have told us, my initial reaction would be parasites. Mites/lice/internal parasites may have made her very weak and anemic.

7. Debsbro

May 19, 2012
    Just looked at her, can't see anything, just looked on the coop with a light and can't see anything. Our other two chickens are fine

8. Debsbro

May 19, 2012
    I have noticed when she is being stroked/fussed it's a little bit like she has dandruff

9. Debsbro

May 19, 2012
    I am sad to say our little Mimi went down hill very fast over night and we had to have her put to sleep, I haven't stopped crying yet [​IMG].
    When we had the chickens we were told we had to have a minimum or three, now we are down to two will this be ok ?

10. Debsbro

May 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by