Poorly looking black hybrid - looks glum.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizzie201296, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lizzie201296

lizzie201296 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    You may have seen my other posts regarding our brown hybrid hen Gerty and her bulging bottom - we've established that she's probably an internal layer, but she seems fine still, eating and everything. However, our other lady Daisy, has been laying daily, but is certainly not right. She keeps sitting down on the ground and pulling her head in, blinking slowly, and we just took up their afternoon corn treat, and whereas Gerty ran up for it as they both usually do, Daisy stayed on the ground and only ate it when we sprinkled it in front of her. She's up and moving around now, but she's definately very slow and compared to active Gerty, just not right!
    She's not walking weirdly - no waddling or anything, and I don't think she's eggbound because she has been laying, and started being like this a few days ago...
    They have been wormed, and we use lots of mite sprays/powders, and there's no sign of mites or worms.
    Any ideas what it could be?
    L

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sorry you're not getting answers. You have just ruled out my only guesses. Hope she gets better!

3. lizzie201296

lizzie201296 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Thanks - I think it might be worth taking her to the vets; they're not great with chickens but obviously are a bit more knowledgeable than me!! Just so they can identify if there is anything... She could just be a bit down. Broody maybe? I'm not sure what broody is like - they're about 2 1/2 years and haven't gone broody yet... but she's not sitting on her egg or 'guarding' (is that what they do when they're broody?)
    L

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by