Poorly silkie hen...please help!!

joelysilkie

In the Brooder
May 1, 2017
Hi,

I have a very poorly silkie hen, I have only kept them for about 6-7 weeks and last Saturday (10 days ago) I noticed she was very off balance. I fed her water and yoghurt with a pipette until Monday when I noticed she had gotten worse so I decided to remove her from the flock just in case.

I have kept her in a box in the house but she has just gotten worse, she is more off balance and now has both eyes closed (before it was just the one) she now can't stand or stretch her neck out and does not eat or drink for herself. I think it is wry neck so I have been giving her water mixed with apple cider vinegar, vit E capules (1ml per day), olive oil, tuna, yoghurt and nutri-drops as I have read online these are good for chickens with wry neck. Unfortunately she cannot take much and turns her head after a few drops so I have to be very patient with her she probably gets a mix of about 10 drops every few hours when I am home but I work full time so those days I give her as much as I can in the morning then keep her on my lap feeding her after work until I go to bed.

I am absolutely breaking my heart over it as she is so weak and I think she is giving up. Please can someone tell me how to treat her or if it is worth me going to a vet (I live in a city so my vet probably wouldn't know much about chickens). I will do anything to keep her alive but if she is too weak and in pain I will make her comfortable until she passes as I cannot stand to see her like this if there is no recovery in sight.

Thanks in advance I am very worried about her.

I would say get her to a vet asap.
Poor thing, I hope she makes it for you. You could try tube feeding her since she isn't eating.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom