Poorly silkie hen

Lolliebeanz

Hatching
Apr 18, 2019
Hi guys, I should start by saying I am a very new, inexperienced chicken owner. I have 5 silkies that I got in late January 2019. They are now approx 7.5 months old. One of them has been weak from the start. She has very curled in toes and hasn't grown as big and strong as the others. She's at the bottom of the pecking order but she manages ok. Yesterday I noticed her choosing to keep one of her eyes closed. There was no visible injury, no redness, no discharge as such although the eye did look 'wet'. I had chlorsig eye drops and applied one drop in the morning and one in the evening on recommendation from a Facebook chicken page. This morning when I went to let everyone out at about 7am she was still in the coop which is not uncommon as her curled feet make it hard for her to use the ramp. I got her down and immediately noticed a small amount of cloudy discharge on the bad eye. I wiped it away with cooled boiled water and applied chlorsig again then sat and observed her. She ate and drank ok and became very animated when meal worms were brought out but something didn't seem right. I picked her up and sat her on my lap where she stayed for an hour not moving. She was in and out of sleep it seemed. I decided to bring her inside to keep a close eye on her. Since that time I have bathed her (someone suggested she may be egg bound but I don't think so), I have given her berocca in water which she has drank some of, however only when I put the dish infront of her face. She has eaten some of her mash but also when I bring it to her. She is very lethargic but not asleep, she keeps 'smacking her lips together' and her head keeps going up and down as she breathes but only sometimes, not consistently. She doesn't appear to be gasping and she isn't making any noise when she breathes. Her nostrils are still clear. Since 8am she has only pooped three times. It is now just after 2pm. Once in the tub when I bathed her and twice on her own. All normal solid but not too solid poops.
I've attached a photo of her sore eye which is what this all started with. Any advice? I have very limited supplies here. Nothing specific to birds and it's a long weekend here for Easter so my regular produce place is closed. Is this considered an emergency? What should I do?

Attachments

• 20190419_141444.jpg
    20190419_141444.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 8
Further to my post, is it possible the eye injury caused her to not be able to find food yesterday and that is why she is so lethargic today? I only ask because she just spent 20mins going between her mash and Greek yoghurt, eating constantly

Back
Top Bottom