Poorly silkies please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kareena1987, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kareena1987

kareena1987 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi I have 5 silkie chicks I started with 8 they are about 12 weeks old now we lost one when we 1st put them outside two so I brought them in 2 weeks ago we lost another then last night we lost a third and I have another one that's not looking great the one last night I moved it into isolation as soon as I noticed it not looking great I checked it over found nothing it was eating and drinking just looking very subdued then it had a dose of the runs but later died this other one is the same I have isolated it and given it some apple cider vinegar and salt not sure what I can do I'm worried I will lose them all!! Can anyone give me some advice on how to save them? This one has seemed to perk up a bit but the other one didn't seem to bad till it was to late thanks in advance

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like it may be Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis causes droopiness, lethargy, paleness, and sometimes bloody diarhea. It can kill quickly (as you unfortunately know by now), so you should get some Corid soon. Corid is the treatment for Coccidiosis. It comes in both a liquid and a powder form. You should be able to find it at a feed store like Tractor Supply pretty easily. The dosage for the liquid is two teaspoons per gallon, and for the powder, it is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. Until you can get Corid, give some buttermilk or powdered milk. This will coat the intestine, and slow down the progression of the disease.

3. kareena1987

kareena1987 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Thank you very much for your reply I will send the hubby down now! How is that spread and what causes it? That way if I am doing anything wrong then I can rectify I am very new to keeping chickens (3 months) and I am panicking a bit the silkies are in with a sablepoot and 2 dutch as they are all similar ages none of the others are showing any symptoms just this other silkie

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis is normally in the soil, and there are 9 strains that affect chickens. It causes diarrhea, but is only bloody in a few strains. Chickens normally have built up immunity to the strain in their home soil by 16-20 weeks. They need to be alowed outside to get exposed to it and also because outside on grass is cleaner than being in a coop. Give them Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days. It is in the cattle meds section--same drug as for chickens. Treating them with a second half strength dose after a week or two break will help them build up immunity, but treat an infection. Here is some reading: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

5. kareena1987

kareena1987 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    No bloody diarrhoea from any of them and this one hasn't got diarrhoea only the one last night looked a bit watery but nothing major I'll get some of it and see how we go fingers crossed they will be ok just can't understand why it's just my beautiful silkies :-(

6. kareena1987

kareena1987 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Just reading that it doesn't sound the same they are still eating and drinking and moving around just seems to be a little more quieter no bloody diarrhoea etc will it do them any harm if I give it just encase? But it doesn't sound the same as what you have posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by