pop door/coop floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thowe, Apr 11, 2009.

1. thowe

thowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    NH
    I plan on deep litter. My ? is..... How high off floor should chicken door be? I will have heavy breeds. Thanks

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My pop door is on the floor.

3. thowe

Nov 27, 2008
    NH
    So its really no big deal? I can tell DH about 2" off floor?

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I use the deep litter method (DLM) and my pop door is about 8 inches above the floor. I think the litter is compressed to about 2-3 inches high in this photo. I have standard breeds, too. (They're only about 6 weeks old here.)

[​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The disadvantage of a door that is close to the floor is that litter gets kicked out.

Mine (except for the tractor, which was built before I learned this [​IMG]) are all 8-12" above the floor, not because my bedding is necessarily that deep but because it really helps retain litter. THey can hop up and down to go thru the door with no problem whatsoever.

Also, it lets an inside guillotine-style door (arguably the most predator-proof) slide down well *past* the bottom of the door opening, which eliminates jamming slightly opne due to poo/bedding accumulation, and reducees winter drafts.

JMO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. thowe

Nov 27, 2008
    NH
    Thanks for the speedy reply, because DH is doing that wall as we speak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by