Pop Door Ideas

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
So I've spent the last half hour looking for a thread with a sliding pop door design I loved but I CAN'T FIND IT. Ugh. Anyway, I am looking for ideas/pics of your vertical sliding pop doors and locking mechanisms. What I had in mind is a 12x12 frame, runners, and a rope that can be pulled from outside of the coop. I can see the idea in my head, but when it comes to planning it for my own coop I can't get the little details on paper...such as how exactly to frame it out and lock it up. I really liked the idea of the door sliding into the coop frame...but I can't find the pictures of it! Any help/pictures/advice would be awesome

I really liked the idea of the door sliding into the coop frame...but I can't find the pictures of it! Any help/pictures/advice would be awesome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also in the process of doing this. My stepmother, gave me a great idea, as she had chickens when she was little.
I am going to use straping(i thinkits 1x2) I will put two long ones on each side of the door, so my door will fit nicely between, then she said to put two more (one on each side) and kinda overlap them so one is on top of the other but over lap it over the door so it will keep the door like a trap. I am working on this today i will have pics when i am done.

I hope you understood this, if not i think i can draw it it out and scann it and upoad it as a oic.

Ann

This is an old picture (we converted to an auto door), but this was how we did our sliding door. The wire cable ran up through a pulley, then out the front of the coop. Outside the coop, we had an eyelet screw positioned for the OPEN position. We used a dog leash type clip at the end of our cable. We actually ran a small piece of rubber tubing through the wall to protect the wood where the cable went through (you can barely see it in the picture). You don't even need a pulley....those eye screws work just fine really.
We used a metal track, but wood does just as well. You can overlay say...a 3 inch board over a 2-2 1/2 inch board to get the recess you need to form your track...
37862_chickens_11_weeks_009.jpg

yeah that's it! what did you end up using for runners? and what size should we make it if we eventually decide to convert to an automatic door someday??

Quote:
Sorry...I can't remember the name of that metal track stuff we used...DH brought it home from work. It's what they use on a lot of their cable/connector machines. I'll ask him and PM you this evening. But board would work just as well. I just helped my brother finish his coop a few weekends back, and we did his track out of narrow boards with eyelet screws as "pulleys" - works just as well as mine.

Because we did our own auto door using a drapery motor and timer, any size would have worked, small or large wouldn't have mattered. But if you eventually plan to go to a manufactured auto. door, I'm not sure what size those things are, so it would be wise to find out so that you don't have to redo anything
smile.png

Quote:
Hi,
pop.gif

I wouldn't recommend the motor used in this video, as it is a drapery motor. There was an earlier post from someone who had to return two of these. Turns out one was defective and the other was her fault. The chicken motor is about the same price and is specifically designed for coops. Apparently addamotor won't honor returns if the curtain motor is used outside. The one in the video was also bought on craigslist, which can be a gamble from my experiences.

Check it out. This is the one we installed and it operates just the same as the one in the video. Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Motor

However our door goes farther down. You can see daylight under the door in the video.

Anyhow, just my two cents.
idunno.gif

Edit: Sorry... got ahead of myself. The one in the video is a manual door. I watched another video from this youtube collection where he automated the door.
That's the motor I was referring to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom