Pop door opens and closes from inside the hen house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chellejeff, Mar 11, 2011.

1. chellejeff

chellejeff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    So. Cal. Mountains
    The problem, how to open and close the pop door without having to wade through the mud around the hen house when the snow starts to melt. The solution, open and close it from inside the hen house.
    So here's how it works. The large lever on the left opens and closes the door. The small lever on the right is the lock. With the large lever pushed right, and the small lever pushed left, the door is locked closed. To open the door, the small lever must but put straight up, into a neutral position. The large lever is then moved left, which opens the door. To lock it open, the small lever is moved right.
    I hate how long it took me to design it, but love the final product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Clever solution!!!

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    WOW [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] , love your invention, i use a long rope and pulley system to open mine

4. chellejeff

chellejeff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    So. Cal. Mountains
    I thought about doing the rope thing. It would have been way easier. Problem is it would have had a tendency to jam up when the rope got wet with rain, then frozen solid and caked with snow once the rain turned to snow. We get that a lot here, it rains first for a few hours, then turns to snow. That way everything is good and soaked before it gets frozen solid. Plus, how to lock it closed. I didn't want to be crawling on the floor under the roost to secure a hook or some other lock. Besides, levers are kinda cool.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Levers are VERY cool!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by