Pop Doors Please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Farmington, May 11, 2010.

1. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Please post pics of your pop doors on your coops. I need ideas on what to do with mine. I'd like to maybe have a rope and eye, or pulley system. Should the door be on the inside, or outside wall? Just need ideas, any and all are appreciated [​IMG] Thanks!

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Have to go take a pic. But I just have a hinged top edge that swings open to the outside. It stays up with a piece of wire (shaped like a hook) run through a small eye screw. Locks when closed with door bolts. Very simple.

ETA:

I avoided the rope arrangement as I did not want to deal with a track for the door. Just opens into the run. Predators have to get past the electric fence to access the run. Click thumbnail for enlargement if desired.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] From the inside.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I rigged mine up on the outside of the coop with a rope and eyehooks. I used a heavy piece of old barn wood, about 12"x20", for the sliding door. I nailed 2 pieces of pallet wood to 2x4's on either side of the door (overlapping the door edge by about an inch) to make a track for the door to slide in.

It's a little tough to see in the pic, but it's very simple to construct. I didnt have the rope attached yet in this pic, but it just runs from the door up to under the eaves and over to the right side where the human door is.
    [​IMG]

4. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

You can't see my pulley, but it's (obviously) mounted straight above the door - then the rope runs along the exterior of the coop and outside the secure run area, where I installed a homemade wooden cleat.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My door is mounted inside. We used lexan...a super thick plexiglass type material. At first I used the pulley system shown, with the wire to open or close it outside the coop..
    [​IMG]
    Later, we converted it to an auto. coop run off of a timer..
    [​IMG]

6. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    I try to keep my doors on the inside so a raccoon can't get his paws behind or under it and gain entrance. I have the bottom of the door slide past the bottom of the opening and out of reach from the outside. The rope goes thru the coop and is tied off at the far end of the coop. Then I forget to close it at least 10% of the nights....

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
  8. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    We used an extra large pet door. We cut the plastic door into strips and can close everything up with the sliding door when necessary.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by