1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I am going to be building a coop in the near future and was wondering if a pop door say 4 feet off the ground with metal sheeting around it so coons and the like can't climb up to get in, if it would be a bad idea. Because I don't know if the chickens and guineas will learn to use it, I really don't want to spend the time training 30 or so birds to use it. Anyone have any experience using a pop door like this? Also if large enough will turkeys and peafowl use a pop door like this? thanks for your replys in advance.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The metal would stop a climber, but something like a fox, bobcat or coyote could easily jump through, or an owl fly through, if you're thinking of leaving the door open.

3. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I could make it higher, the chickens would be light breeds and guineas don't have a problem flying either. Anyone else have any comments?
    Quote:

4. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    As for owls, I could close the door at night, but the main reason I want a pop door like the one I mentioned is so that I can let the chickens freerange when I go away and wouldn't be back before nightfall or perhaps be away for a few days they could still get in to the coop and be somewhat more protected from predators. I know it may not be ideal but I think it's better than a regular pop door considering all I'll have to worry about would be owls and hawks.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Get an automatic pop door, with either a timer (if you have electricity to the coop) or a light sensor type, like the one from Foy's which is powered by batteries. Yes, it's expensive, but worth every dollar!

6. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    do chickens come back to the coop at the same time each night? Cause if they don't then they could all get locked out lol or you have to set the timer to where it closes after dark and then predators could already be full and on there way. My experience with guineas suggests that they wait till they can barely see before they hit the sack, where chickens seem to be early birds, and they would be roosting in the same coop. [​IMG] Grrr, i thought my high pop door was a good idea, back to the drawing board [​IMG]
    Quote:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  7. Felony

Felony Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    I find it's really good idea, maybe not ideal, but a good idea!

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have an automatic door with a light sensor. You can adjust the light sensor on it, also. You just turn a little screw on it. My chickens stay out a little later than I'd like, but they still get in before it closes. What I did was watch it the first few nights and adjust it a little bit.

You could also just not free range when you aren't going to be coming home before dark. They could stay in the run at those times, if you build a secure run.

9. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I don't know, I guess I was trying to not have to build a run, and thinking that with this pop door they could still have room to roam but have a safe place to come back to rather than just the trees. I guess it wont hurt to try though. maybe I can find a used automatic door for cheap.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by