1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. ear019

ear019 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    I have seen coop designs connected to secure runs, and I was wondering if it was better to let them access the run all the time or if you need to shut them up at night.

2. crittergarden

crittergarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I'm brand new with chickens, but I've been a house rabbit mom for awhile. Both are prey animals and would be safer all buttoned up overnight. (Bunnies shouldn't even be outside - ever. They can have a heart atack whether the prdator actually touches them or not.)

3. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I had rabbits outside for years and most died of old age ~ 8 years old. They loved it outside; digging, chewing on the wood fence, eating grass, harassing the dogs. They shared the yard with 3 dachshunds that I think kept daytime predators away. I trained them to get in their hutches at night with animal crackers. There must not have been raccoons in the area because I don't think my homemade hutches would have withstood a raccoon attack. I had 8 rabbits and I never lost one to a predator.

The first 2 were in the house for awhile but the urine smells too bad. Mine were litter box trained but they would hike their butts up a pee over the top of it. They were freer and happier outside!

4. ear019

ear019 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    But as far as chickens go... Do you put them up at night in the coop or let them have access to their run at night also?

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Lock them up at night. If you have the pop door open all night, you're just leaving it open for a predator. It could be something as small as a mink, but if it manages to get in, it'll kill them all as they sleep on the roost. Besides, the chickens don't need to get into the run at night, they are looking for a safe place to sleep. I don't consider any secure run secure at night.

6. crittergarden

crittergarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Dogs keep predators away. Keep the deer from eating your garden, too. Even if fthe dachsunds were in at night, they left plenty doggie smells in the yard!

YES, close up your chickens at night!

7. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I made my run as secure as my coop. I know people who have the same situation and leave the pop door open at night. I haven't yet. There are just too many sad stories. I close it and brace it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by