Pop hole size?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greginshasta, Oct 18, 2007.

1. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Tomorrow we will hopefully place the siding on the new coop. Currently we have the walls up and the roof decking in place. We framed a 2x4 where the pop hole will be located and allow for a maximum 12" tall pop hole. The studs are 2' o.c. so I could potentially widen the opening, but was planning a 12x12 door opening.

Once the siding goes on, it's going to be much more difficult to move the 2x4 header that limits the height and provides a location to screw down the siding. But right now it would be very easy since the framing is all accessible.

Will this 12x12 size be ok?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Gerg I tried a 12"x12" pop hole, and my roosters refused to go through it because the would have to almost sit and get on their "knees" to pass through.

We cahnged to 12"x 20", and now they don't have a problem passing through. [​IMG]

3. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    was the 20 the height?

4. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    We've got an opening of 15" wide and 17" high.
    It's fine for our heavy breeds, but I wouldn't want either dimension much smaller.

spot

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, 12 inches high for some big roos would be a stretch... although I saw my 9lb roo fit though a 9x8 hole that leads to the egg hutch! Only witnessed it once and I thought he was stuck!

6. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    I re-framed the opening this morning for 20" tall.

thanks everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by