1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pop hole

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ipie68, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    what time should a pop hole be opened, dawn?

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    If the coop door is not opened at sunrise here, I hear about it and hear about it and hear about it. I also hear about it if I try to get everyone all settled in before full dark. Seems they like to get up to greet the sun and refuse to miss a single ray. I have read where some will wait an hour after sunup and can get them tucked away before the sun is completely down. I think it all depends upon your area and your birds.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I work days and feed my birds at 5am at which time I open their pop door. On my days off I usually try to get out their just before sunrise, so I can sleep in a little.
    Michele

4. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    I open the door around 6am. They start coming out when it gets a bit lighter. I'll probably open the door at 5:30am when we turn the clocks back next this weekend.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We let ours out just before 8 am. Reason being it keeps the boy quiet in the dark coop, noise ordinance till then and general courtesy.

6. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I have an automatic door that I set to close at about 8:30 at night. It is very dark by then and all the girls should have been in bed well before then, but I just want to be sure that I have not locked any straglers out. I have a light that comes on in their coop and run at 5AM and the door is set to open at that same thime. I use the light to extend their daylight hours and it has worked very well for me. They are all up by about 5AM and they usually lay their eggs around 7AM.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by