1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poppy butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Autumn Leaves, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    My first chick hatched around 6pm today. Its still in the incubator with the other eggs. Its first poop is stuckto his poor booty. How long should I wait before I have to clean him up. He is not dry yet and I have 2 others pipped. I dont want him to have issues pooping but I also can't open the incubator yet.

As you can guess this is my first time hatching.

Thanks

2. latenighter

latenighter Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Its likely the yolk sack. I am new to hatching but I wouldn't remove it. Hopefully someone else will chime in

3. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    You do not need to remove whatever it is that is stuck to his booty. Chances are it is indeed part of the yolk sac or possibly something else altogether. He shouldn't have any pooping issues as a result of leaving whatever it is on there until the other eggs have hatched or even until you take him out of the incubator. However, if you go opening the 'bator and picking 'things' off him that you're not totally sure of what they are, then not only could he end up with some pooping issues but he could end up dead as well.

4. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for the info! I figured I was being overly worried. The lid has not been removed and a second has hatched.

5. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    So how are things going with 'poopy butt' and friends. Good, I hope !!!

-kim-

6. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Waiting on the last one. I have 9 so far. I'll get some pictures when they are in the brooder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by