Popular Music , Dumbing Down Our Kids?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Masonic Chicken, May 2, 2009.

1. Masonic Chicken

Masonic Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Vernon/Bonifay, FL
    It amazes me when I am forced to watch MTV or listen to Top 40 how much the media truly influences our taste as a whole. I have to listen to alot of this stuff quite often ,it's playing at work , my wife likes some of it and my stepdaughter , well it's all she listens to. [​IMG]

I am refering to pop and rap of course , but I would stress more towards rap. How can the media brainwash us all so easily with there idea of good music? Stupid songs like (A Bay Bay) and (Soldier Boy) and to many other hundreds to complain about flood our everyday lives. These talentless hacks are being served up as to what's popular and we should like this etc...they play it so much , you can't help but pick up on it...after a while maybe you will wake up and go....wait a minute....when did dumbing down the english language become cool....can these idiots not pronounce (Hey Baby) which is what I am assuming (a Bay bay) is referencing. When did DUMB become cool? When did someone speaking over a record become skill? And speaking badly without intelligence at that...

There are so many amazing bands out there who have serious skill when it comes to playing there instruments....for example some of the newer bands or bands still currently out , who can REALLY play...

Dream Theater , Nightwish , Lacuna Coil , Disturbed , Apocolyptica , Dimmu Borgir , these are all bands who are hugely popular in Europe and have mainstream potential.

I find it so sad , that people have become such sheep that (c)Rap and Pop are the 1 choice amoung the average consumer.

Don't get me wrong I think Rap has it's place , it can serve as a form of expression , but when it is all you listen to....I have to wonder .....do you feel yourself getting dumber? There are some rappers who are not ignorant in there words and speech...but these are few and far between and don't account for the popularity.

I wish people would wake up and go hey , you know this stuff is okay for the mindless teenagers , but it's ultra patheic to be consumed by this stuff if your over 30 or so....

Here are some examples of my words and these are all taken from recent rap charts....notice anything with the language and the speech and why I say it's ignorant?

Slimm Thug - Theme Song (Hoggs On Da Grind)

David Banner - Get Like Me

50 Cent - I Get Money

Soulja Boy Tell'em - Crank That (Soulja Boy)

Timbaland - The Way I Are

T-Pain - Buy You A Drank

Gorilla Zoe - Hood Figga

These are just a couple of examples.......no wonder are kids seem to grow up violent and dumb. What did you expect? I have no idea why your kids are failing english and spelling classes.

[​IMG]

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    thats why mtv and the like arent allowed in my house [​IMG]
    problem solved!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ditto! i dont allow it in my house either...its all trash.

4. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    it sure is..i dont allow their friends to play it either..not only is it trash, its completely lacking in talent or even basic musical skills.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Agreed. Not in my house.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    We survived
    Oh Mickey, you're so fine,
    You're so fine you blow my mind
    Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!

Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!

Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!
    and
    She's a very kinky girl
    The kind you don't take home to mother
    She will never let your spirits down
    Once you get her off the street, ow girl

She likes the boys in the band
    She says that I'm her all-time favorite
    When I make my move to her room it's the right time
    She's never hard to please, ow now
    or how about " I like big but$ and i cannot lie"

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

That is why I listen to Country music.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] ahh! the memories! I still like those songs! [​IMG]

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Popular Music , Dumbing Down Our Kids?
    Yes. And worse.

10. Masonic Chicken

Masonic Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Vernon/Bonifay, FL
    Quote:I agree those songs don't require alot of brain power to understand, but my point is more of the dumbing down of the english language , not the cheese factor of those songs.

You have to admit even "Baby Got Back" was not butchered with slang and lazy talking. It was a cheesy song at best, but he wrote it well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by