Popularity of Favorelles and Marans?

chickenkerri

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Western North Carolina
I'm new to the chicken world and have been reading a lot and researching different breeds. It seems that a lot of people really like Salmon Favorelles and Marans. They are certainly beautiful but I'm just wondering why they are so popular and more expensive than others.

I am learning too, but I think it's because it's fun to develop breeds that need work! You can improve alot on those breeds and they're beautiful. I know the Marans are duel purpose, I think the Favorelles are as well
big_smile.png

Quote:
We were hoping to find some Faverolles out in the SF Bay Area in January but no one had any chicks available when we wanted to start. We (OK, my DW) ruled out ordering a batch so we went with whatever was local. Ended up with Barred Rocks.

Still have my fingers crossed to try some different breeds later...

Marens are pricey because of the dark colored eggs, Faverolles are beautiful birds and a good birds are very hard to find, there is a very good breeder that is a member of BYC for the favs. I have some from her and they are great, I also have Mahogany Faverolle's very nice birds

Mahogany Favs are pretty but from Sandhill, it was the pits! Their vigor was not that great and I've had three separate batches and by the time they reached adulthood, they all died.

I would stick with the breeders Favs like I did, and they were sweet pets!

I think faverolles are popular because the roosters are drop dead gorgeous, the hens are cute, and both have friendly, laid back personalities. (Though I have to say, my faverolles are perhaps the "dimmest" chickens Ive had). I love 'em! I think faverolles are more difficult to breed also, or so I've heard.

Marans lay those awesome eggs. Who dosen't want "chocolate" eggs!

The rarer breeds tend to be a bit more expensive than breeds such as the good ol rhode island red or barred rock.

Salmon Favs. are one of the breeds that I want the most and of course the last ones Im going to recieve, go figure LOL. They are beautiful birds and suppose to be good layers, I sure hope so cause that is the biggest reason for me ordering them. They are also suppose to be very friendly, again I don't know but hope so,
so
1.Good eggs
2. beautiful birds
3. friendly
4. dual purpose (worst case senerio)
Again my choice though was based on all the reading up on the breed/but mostly because all of the post I found here on BYC. And I have found that they are better than any chicken book I could buy! and NOT from any personal experiences yet. Good luck with whatever you choose.
frow.gif
Sandy

Back
Top Bottom