Population Explosion!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sagefox, Mar 19, 2008.

1. sagefox

sagefox Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    Western PA
    So all year I've had my little flock of 9 silkies...now I have my 11 mm chicks, 9 ducklings, 2 goslings and the 6 chicks I hatched on monday....AND now I have 24 eggs due to hatch tomorrow...27 more hatching monday....30 chicks from welp shipping next week...24 button quail, 8 Serama & more silkies hatching next Saturday....
    And now I sit here wondering how in the world I got here??? ROTFL [​IMG]

2. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    [​IMG] I ask myself the same thing. I started last summer with 6 little silkies and my DH swears that I now have 200 with the chicks I just can't stop hatching!!!

3. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Quail!? How are they to raise, my husband was thinking of quail for next year.

4. sagefox

Feb 22, 2008
    Western PA
    It's those darn silkies!! They sucked me right into the dark underworld of poultry! I never saw this coming... I don't think I ever looked twice at a chicken before I saw silkies...now I think every chicken is beautiful [​IMG] And now that I started hatching eggs....I'm afraid I'm really doomed!

5. sagefox

Feb 22, 2008
    Western PA
    I've never had quail before...so I'm not sure how it will go...I just think my daughter (ok..me too) will get a kick out of seeing those tiny buttons hatch..they say they're only the size of a bumblebee when they hatch!

6. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I'll be curious to see how it goes. I think my husband wants me to buy them from McMurray instead of hatching. I get a little nutty around hatching.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

But hatching is so fun!

Congrats on the new ones!

8. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Quail are especially fun to incubate and hatch. I definetely enjoy hatching them (they live in my house, some of their mating calls are a little weird sounding, though I do enjoy the Bobwhites call.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by