Porcelain and Lavender in Same Breeding Pen?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I sort of get lavender, but love porcelain. They are related, right. or did I read something wrong? Would it be stupid to put lavs and porcelains in one breeding pen? I'm thinking lavender (self blue) and porcelain D'uccles here. Lav x porcelain = ?

((asking because I love them both and can't decide
tongue.png
))

From my understanding, porcelain is 'made' from crossing lavender with mille fleur. So I would think porcelains with lavenders is okay, it should just give you more lavenders.
smile.png

Last edited:
Depends on what you're looking to produce, IMO. If you want to produce only lavenders, keep just lavenders together. If you only want to produce porcelain, keep just porcelains together. But since porcelain is technically a "lavender mille fleur", whereas a bird is visual for both colors at the same time, you could end up with both lavenders and porcelains (if you kept them all together), depending on which/how many birds carry the mottling gene. Experts, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you could even wind up with lavender mottled, I believe?

Last edited:
I think any of the three, lavender, porcelain, or lavender mottled would be fine by me. If I do start a D'Uccle flock, I'd probably sell hatching eggs from time to time, so wanted to be certain what could come out of that pen of lavs and porcelains.

Quote:
Honestly, I can see one laying flock and one bantam breeding flock and no other separate groups. We make pets of them all anyway, and my banty Cochin, Shadow, is a character. We've enjoyed her more than we expected to. I know that I can get lavs and porcelains in the D'Anvers, too, so that is a possibility as well. I go back and forth on the feathered feet issue myself. As you know, I do have two Brahmas and Shadow, plus Glenda, who is my Buff Brahma's daughter with Suede, so there are a few with the feathered feet here. Not sure if I want a whole flock of them, though, so I'm debating D'Uccles vs D'Anvers. I know that Henry wants me to get some Salmon Favs from him, so that's a possibility some day, but I just really love lavs and porcelains in the bantam sizes.

Thanks, catwalk. That makes sense.

Quote:
Not quite, but if you can breed mottle into your lavenders in at least one dose it should work. First generation of lavender X porcelain (or porcelain X lavender) will produce no mottled birds, but all will be split for mottle. Breed the split mottle lavender birds to porcelain and you should get 50% birds who are lav/lav mo/mo and 50% lav/lav Mo+/mo. That doesn't take into account other genes needed for the mille fleur pattern.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071111220301/home.ezweb.com.au/~kazballea/belgians/genetics.htm will give you a lot of information on what you can mix together. I believe Henk hosts this on his site now, but I can't find the link
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom