1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Porcelain coloring in standard chicken breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by featherfooted, Nov 20, 2008.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Is there a breed of standard chickens that has the Porcelain color, or is it only in the bantam breeds? I really love the Porcelain color and would love to have it in standard size. If its not in the standards how would you develop it? What colors would you need to breed? I think a Porcelain rock would be beautiful. [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have a project in the early stages for porcelain large fowl. I am not prepared to disclose much details, but you need the lav gene over mille fleur to produce porcelain.

Porcelain is primarily in bantam because that is mostly what is available in the US, altho it is not difficult to get it on large fowl as well. I think it will look beautiful too, which is why I want to produce some.

Jody

3. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Once you get them developed I would be interested in some. I just love the color. I have 2 Porcelain Dutch bantam chicks that are just a week old so I don't know what sex they are. I'm hoping for a hen and a roo, but my luck I'll have 2 roos.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Jody could one cross a lavender from one breed to a porcelain of another breed and eventually get a porcelain color in the first breed?

For example: If you had a Lavender Cochin and you crossed him to a Porcelain Rock could you eventually get Porcelain Cochin? This is just hypothetical guys, no such thing as a porcelain rock.

5. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you cross lav to porcelain, you get lav in the first breeding.

For Example: If you take a porcelain roo to a lav hen, then breed the daughter back to the porcelain roo, you should get approx 25% porcelain in the offspring from that mating.

Jody

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    So cool! Good luck with your project and I want to be first on the list for whatever masterpiece is in the making. [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Here is another way you can do it.

Take a lav roo to a mille hen. Offspring will appear black. Take the black roo back to the mille mother, which will produce some split lav X milles. Breed two split milles together and you get porcelain. [​IMG]

Of course, I am simplifying this and there are a lot of culls along the way. But it can be done.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by