Porcelain d'uccle chicks tiny?? :-)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by L0rraine, May 28, 2010.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    This is my first time with d'uccles. I have three porcelain chicks who are 3-5 days older than their "step-sibling" silkie chicks, but they're quite a bit tinier. They are feathering out on their wings (my silkies are just barely starting to get feathers), but they still look like tiny little cotton puff balls size-wise (well okay a little bit bigger than that [​IMG] ). So are the d'uccles much smaller than the silkies as adult birds? The chicks all seem to be doing fine - though the d'uccles don't seem quite as robust as the silkies. All are being raised by a Momma silkie hen, who is incredibly gentle and calm compared to my previous 'broodies'.

2. SonRise Silkies

SonRise Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Hi! Here is a very un-expert answer, just from my own experience.
    I have Silkies and also Bearded Mille Fluer D'Uccles, they seem to be about the same size when hatched, sometimes bigger sometimes smaller.
    [Big help huh?]
    But the Silkies are slower to feather out, the MF grow slower seems like but feather out much faster.
    So what I'm trying to say is the Silkies get bigger faster but feather slower.
    The MF are still real small but nearly feathered out, very pretty babies, lots of color.
    When grown my MF are tiny, but sometimes the Silkies appear a lot bigger than they are...just get one soaking wet and you will see just how small they really are.
    GBY,
    Cheryl

3. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Thanks - that was VERY helpful - sounds like we are right on track. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Here is a shot of my 14 week old Lavender d'Uccle and her best friend, 12 week old Buff Orpington, whom I consider a bit of a runt.

[​IMG]

d'Uccles are tiny little things, and are swiftly outgrown by most of the birds I run them with as chicks- in fact by all of them except the Seramas.

5. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    "I dream of a society in which no one questions a chicken's motive for crossing the road."

'ChooksChick' - so have you heard the one ' To show the possums that it can be done?' - my grandfather's personal favorite. (and ... thanks for the picture - it's nice to know they can be best friends with the big hens when raised together).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by