1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Porcelain D'uccle - girl or boy???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TreeHugger, Aug 14, 2011.

1. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I bought this little one at the farmers market yesterday. I really love my 2 D'uccles and so I thought I'd add another. I have no clue on the age on this chick. My guess would be 4-6 weeks old. The guy I bought it from had about 6 chicks that he said were hatched from one of his hens (so they were all the same size and age). They were all were clearly roos (bright red comb) except for this one. It's comb was a little smaller and a little pale. However, now that I got it home I'm starting to wonder if it's just a late bloomer... What you do think? Right now it's in quarentine & I'm sure in 4 weeks I will definately be able to tell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Hmm... I think it's a little early [​IMG]

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Quote:it is to early to be sure but looks like a rooster

4. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

It's too early to be sure,but I'm going to guess he's a cockerel.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    D'Uccles can be sexed as early as 3 weeks. I'm pretty sure this is a pullet.

6. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

pullet I have a 3 week old roo and there is no doubt it's a roo

7. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:but it may be a hen

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Looks like a pullet to me [​IMG]

9. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    2 weeks after I got it... Definately a little Pullet!!!! [​IMG]

She is still in quarentine but has moved out of total isolation and is now closer to the flock. I'm thrilled! I only allow myself to keep 30 hens max & she makes number 30 so I am done hatching or buying for the year. However, I think she will be a great addition.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Lucky you! I looked all over for a porcelain d'uccle with no luck. Luckily for me, I found a place that orders Mille Fleur's a couple times a year. I went to the farm store the moment they arrived and picked one chick out of 50-60 in the bin. I actually brought home a girl! I'm so happy to keep her in the flock, she is very sweet. I am keeping my eyes open for a porcelain in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by