Porcelain/Mille Fleur *Krys some help*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KinderKorner, Nov 2, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Alright. So I got some buff columbians for a mille fleur project.

It turns out I got a little mistake pullet that is Buff Columbian/Porcelain.

My little mistake actually might be a neat help.

How do you suggest breeding her to get some porcelains? If I breed her to a mille Fleur will she pass on the Lavender gene or will she not because she only have one dose? What about if I breed her to Black Mottled, then back to her again? Will that do the trick.

I wish I would of gotten some more like her now. [​IMG] Of course I have one other porcelain pullet, so if I have to I can wait and hatch out some more porcelain mixes, then breed together, but that would take a year to even get started.

I got Black Mottled, Blue Mottled, Mille Fleur, Buff Columbian, and one Porcelain Pullet.

Breeding to the porcelain would be the best, but since they are both pullets no can do. Is there anyway to breed her to anything else that will produce the lavender gene to show and cause porcelain. Even if it takes a few generations.

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

What breed are all these? Is the porcelain pullet the same breed as the buff columbian X porcelain pullet?

3. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    the buff columbian are bantam brahmas.

The porcelain is a D' unccle.

Surprisingly the mix looks exactly like a brahma. I only noticed it was a mix cause it has a small beard. And it took me 2 months to even realize.

If I could just get the color, I would be willing to breed back to type for a few generations.

4. Krys109uk

Presumably you're wanting to get to porcelain Brahmas? How about going for mille fleur at the same time as it is en route, so to speak?
    Best bet repeat the cross & then breed the offspring together. You'll get all sorts, but if you breed enough you'd get back to some porcelain.

5. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I already planned doing Mille Fleur at the same time. [​IMG] That is why I purchased the Buff Columbians.

I've got some Mottled, Buff Columbians, then some Mille Fleur Cochins. So as soon as the birds start laying I will have a good start.

I figured since I was already going to so Mille Fleur I might try for some porcelain to. [​IMG]

Hopefully in about 6 months. I will be updating my project progress on here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  6. Krys109uk

Imo you'd need to at least get to lavender mottled before you could be confident of making porcelain. If you use the buff columbian X porcelian without regaining lavender, you will have trouble keeping track of the lavender gene. Are you doing brahmas or the cochins?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  7. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Working on Brahmas. But I have the birds to work on Cochins as well.

As a matter of fact I believe I have some lavender cochin eggs I am due to get in the spring.

8. musicmomma

musicmomma New Egg

Jun 10, 2013
    Sorry I can't help with your questions, but I have 2 bantam Mille Fleur roosters and I am in Southern Illinois. Would you be interested in trading one for a hen?
    I am a new chicken admirer and am enjoying the hobby very much. Thank you for your consideration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by