Porcelain sablepoots (see current chicken of the week pic)

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Shabana, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello
    Firstly please forgive my ignorance. I have kept chickens for roughly 3 years and have several breeds and almost 50 beautiful birds.
    I have most recently rescued a small flock of Porcelain sablepoots. I have two cockerels and four hens. Because they are relatively rare over here in the UK and because the ratio of hens to cockerels is off I wanted to breed.
    My problem is that I have no idea of their heritage other than the 2nd cockerel is the son of the first.
    I very much wanted to keep this breed going but I'm concerned in case I've ploughed in without thinking it through. (I have some of their eggs incubating at the moment)

I'm hopeful that you might give me some pointers or perhaps point me towards a thread ?
    I'm a complete novice when it comes to breeding but I love my birds and would like to do the right thing.

Many thanks
    Shabana

2. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    I am new to breeding as well and no expert. If i were in your position, I would first separate the cockerels. You have a pairof hens for each cockerel. Put the two best hens with the best cockerel. the others into another breeding pen. That would give you two trios to breed from.

Or, take your best cockerel and put it with the hens, and put the other in the mixed flock or somewhere else in case something happens to your main cockerel.

Hatch a lot of eggs and cull hard toward your standard for the breed.

Someone else may have a different idea that may work better for you. Good luck with them.

3. Shabana

Thankyou so much for your reply.

Am I ok to breed tho even though I'm unsure if my cockerels are related to my hens or not ?
    I've read quite a lot. Some say I could be ok for several generations other people give conflicting advice.

Making two trios would be easy, the second cockerel is still young and only just starting to get "that spring feeling" so the eggs I'm incubating at the moment are Flash's (main chap).

Thankyou again.

4. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    Often times with rare breeds you have no choice but to inbreed a little. The vast majority of people start out with one or two trios of unknown relationship, just like you. Since most people flock breed instead of pair breed, most chicks are of unknown parentage. But luckily birds are less affected by inbreeding than mammals, so you can get away with it for a few generations, although eventually you will see problems. A well managed flock of properly line bred birds does not need new birds brought in to prevent excessive inbreeding, but it does take some good recordkeeping and breeding rotation.

Here are some links to other threads that might help you with a breeding plan:
    http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id60.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734859/inbreeding-and-line-breeding-poultry
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/908178/line-breeding-how-do-i-get-started

1 person likes this.
  5. Shabana

Thank you very much. I might have to get a bit organised ! Line breeding seems the way to go :)

I feel like i have a starting point now, and I'm pretty excited !!

Thanks again x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by