1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

porcelain silkies! updated with pictures!**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Aug 9, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have one little porcelain silkie that is so beautiful! She or he is by far my favorite little silkie out of the bunch. Its my only porcelain one also. Anyone breed porcelain silkies? Anyone have any pictures of theirs? I will post pictures soon. Mine is a cream so far with a little darker cream on the wings. Can you breed this to splash or black? I will probably keep it as a pet and not breed it to the b/b/s ones.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Little Ameraucana Mom has some....maybe she will post pics of hers

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    That would be great! I really want tonknow how people breed them. I wouldn't mind having a pair of them. They are so pretty!

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I think I know how to make them.... I'm pretty sure you cross a lavender with a buff and presto porcelain silkie but idk for sure.... I don't own any Silkies....maybe next year

5. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Your best bet for breeding them is to take it to Lavender. I need to get some updated photos but you can check my website for photos of some of our birds.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Porcelain is lav/lav. Bred to a lavender, the offspring will have two copies of lavender. Bred to black, they will only have one copy (unless it is split to lav), and thus will not be porcelain.

There are other genes needed, especially if one wants a true porcelain, but for silkies it's a work in progress.

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Here's my two porcelains and alas both of them look to be pullets, so I have no roo for them

(7 weeks old)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(5weeks)

[​IMG]

Both heads in their picture:
    [​IMG]

As chicks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    How I hatched a porcelain chick remains a mystery. I bought eggs from someone in Miss. She said they were all BBS. Well out pops a porcelain! She's 3 years old now and don't know what to breed her to. I have white, blue, black, splash roos. I just hatched 2 of her eggs...one is splash but the other looks like a light splash, without the "splash". I'm positive she mated with a blue roo. I'm so curious of what this chick will be. Only 4 weeks old now. Hope it turns out to be a porcelain roo! [​IMG]

9. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I get them...don't mean to, but they are popping up out of my splash still. The one's Montana & Hannah showed were from me.

Here's one in my growout pen right now. Fairly sure this one is a pullet.
    [​IMG]

Here's another from my growout pen. Definitely cockerel. Starting out really splotchy but colors are starting to look better now with more feathers.
    [​IMG]

These were a couple from earlier this year:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Do you sell hatching eggs by any chance (blue/black/splash)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by