porcelain silkies! updated with pictures!**

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
I have one little porcelain silkie that is so beautiful! She or he is by far my favorite little silkie out of the bunch. Its my only porcelain one also. Anyone breed porcelain silkies? Anyone have any pictures of theirs? I will post pictures soon. Mine is a cream so far with a little darker cream on the wings. Can you breed this to splash or black? I will probably keep it as a pet and not breed it to the b/b/s ones.

Last edited:
That would be great! I really want tonknow how people breed them. I wouldn't mind having a pair of them. They are so pretty!

I think I know how to make them.... I'm pretty sure you cross a lavender with a buff and presto porcelain silkie but idk for sure.... I don't own any Silkies....maybe next year

Porcelain is lav/lav. Bred to a lavender, the offspring will have two copies of lavender. Bred to black, they will only have one copy (unless it is split to lav), and thus will not be porcelain.

There are other genes needed, especially if one wants a true porcelain, but for silkies it's a work in progress.

Here's my two porcelains and alas both of them look to be pullets, so I have no roo for them

(7 weeks old)

045.jpg

040-1.jpg

(5weeks)

044.jpg

Both heads in their picture:
042.jpg

As chicks

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

How I hatched a porcelain chick remains a mystery. I bought eggs from someone in Miss. She said they were all BBS. Well out pops a porcelain! She's 3 years old now and don't know what to breed her to. I have white, blue, black, splash roos. I just hatched 2 of her eggs...one is splash but the other looks like a light splash, without the "splash". I'm positive she mated with a blue roo. I'm so curious of what this chick will be. Only 4 weeks old now. Hope it turns out to be a porcelain roo!
fl.gif

I get them...don't mean to, but they are popping up out of my splash still. The one's Montana & Hannah showed were from me.

Here's one in my growout pen right now. Fairly sure this one is a pullet.
PICT2749.jpg

Here's another from my growout pen. Definitely cockerel. Starting out really splotchy but colors are starting to look better now with more feathers.
PICT2742.jpg

These were a couple from earlier this year:
chickpicsMarch20037.jpg

chickpicsMarch20044.jpg

chickpicsMarch20038.jpg

Back
Top Bottom