Porcelain without the lavender? PIX added

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Jul 23, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have a Porcelain D'uccle pullet who is missing the "blue" in her coloring aka lavender. She is a muted peachy tan color with white tips on her feathers. But no lavender! How the heck did that happen? She is a very pretty bird. Just not correct at all.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    are u sure she's porcelain? cream d'uccles look like porcelain but w/out the lavender. posting a pic would help.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'd love to see a pic! It sounds like she's a buff mottled without the black parts. She still should have lavender in her, as that's what causes the buff to mute.

It'd be interesting to see if you could make more easily.

There are some Orange Mottled chicken projects folks have going. This sounds like that but with the Lavender dampening the Buff/ Gold.

4. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I'll have to get a picture of her. She was bought out of the TSC bin along with 15 other porcelain chicks....didn't notice any difference until I caught them all to pull out the "keepers" once they were about 3 months old.....once I looked closely, I noticed she was missing the blue.

She is definitely that "muted" color like a porcelain...just without the lavender spots on her feathers....what would I cross her to? Porcelain, mille, gold neck, white?

5. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    sounds like a couple I have seen that were called 'caramel' colored...

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Maybe she is splash mille fleur? From a blue MF x blue MF breeding?

7. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Okay, on second look, she does have the lavender.....just not very much....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see it better here

[​IMG]

Here is a "regular" porcelain

[​IMG]

Here she is in front of a regular porcelain (clean faced)

[​IMG]

Here she is between a regular mille and a mottled....so you can see how diluted her "red" is.

[​IMG]

And with some gold neck girls....sorry for the blurriness, they were less than cooperative.

[​IMG]

8. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    looks kinda like buff mottled to me...
    [​IMG]

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I dont think shes Buff Motted, Buff Motted ( aka Golden neck) Is Mille Fleur diluted by dominant white, and Porcelain is Mille Fleur diluted by lavender. Your hen is lavender diluted, remember lavender dilutes gold too, not just black, so that is why she has the diluted,greyed out effect, so I would say that she is Porcelain, I just dont have an explaination for why her chevrons arent showing up less they are there but just very narrow lines, that are barely visable. I know in some of my Speckled Sussex hens, some of them have very then chevrons that make them look like they dont have any at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by