Porch light - Enough light to trick my girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m.kitchengirl, Nov 11, 2011.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    So, my chickens are 28 weeks.
    They are dual purpose birds, for the most part. I got my first 3 eggs this week. [​IMG]

I got birds that should do well in winter, and hoped that meant that I wouldn't need to add light.
    This year is our first year w/ chickens and the M.O.T.H. wanted to see how we did before I built the big garden shed coop w/electricity et al (he is thrilled, I have the green light to get the shed in February/March!). I hate extension chords and have been fighting the idea of a light for a long time.

I moved the coop up to just below my kitchen window. The back door is about 3 feet from the coop, and there is a light just a little further away.

The other night M.O.T.H. heard coyotes in the back field and went out to hear how close they were (close). He left the back light on that night. I didn't know, and it was on for 2 nights.
    I got the first egg the 2nd morning after the light was left on.
    Now I have gotten 3 eggs in two days (none this a.m., but they laid one egg after I left for work yesterday and one just before, so who knows?).
    I haven't turned off the light.
    Am I being "cute" (silly) like the M.O.T.H. says?
    Is the light a coincidence, or could it actually be doing the trick? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chickens are indeed photo reactive and respond to light. Whether just your back door light is enough is a matter of wait and see. I prefer a timer. I like the birds to sleep at night and take their needed rest. I wake them at 5 am with a light that will go off at 9 or 10 am. I have to do barn chores at 6 am anyhow, and I need to see. The light wakes them, gets them off the roosts and enables them to see to drink, to find the nest boxes, and to begin eating. This would all be delayed until 8 or 9 am if left for the sunrise.

First year pullets aren't nearly as sensitive to short day conditions as old birds are, but all of them benefit from having a 12 hour day. Without a light here, they'd only have a 8 or 9 hour day, from now until February. That's a lot of darkness.

3. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I think our back porch is enough. I'm not aggressive about the light I just turn on our back porch light at 6:30 when I get up. I let my girls out at the same time. They are usually awake in their coop anyway. I'm not real formal about it or anything I don't know how many hours that is and I know it will be less as the days continue to get shorter. I'm not getting piles of eggs just a few. But it was less before I started turning on the light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by