1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Porch prevention??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tucknzoe, Dec 2, 2009.

1. tucknzoe

tucknzoe New Egg

Dec 1, 2009
    New chicken owner and i love my girls, but how do i keep them off of my porch? They are free-range during the day and have LITERALLY acres and acres to roam safely, but they insist on hanging out (and messsing on) my front porch!! Is there anything i can do to keep them away from the porch?????

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    The only way to keep them from an area where you don't want them is with a fence. And, in some cases, it needs to be a high fence. Chickens always seem to go where they shouldn't - playing in the neighbors new much, in the other neighbors garage, the porch, the neighbors back porch.. even when they have plenty of room to wander.
    Unfortunately, there is nothing exept fencing that will keep them where you want them.

3. Daidohead

Daidohead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Red Bluff, Ca
    I had the same problem, they have 2 acres to roam and chose my deck for a hang-out. I use an old deck mop to herd my Ladies to where I need them to go. There is something about the shaking mop head they really dont like. I started putting the mop at the entry to my deck when not in use and the girls havent been back. Good luck.

4. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    We have a sheltie and it is her job to keep the chickens off of the porch. She is great at herding them back to the field and loves doing her job!! She has never injured or even got close to one she just barks and follows behind them keeping them in a line [​IMG]

5. tucknzoe

tucknzoe New Egg

Dec 1, 2009
    well i guess i'll have to get a fence, a sheltie and a mop. sigh. thanks for the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by