1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Porcupines

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chefchick, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I know they are herbivores, so they are not out to get my birds, but I am worried about them getting into my run. Yesterday, a family of the pokey little buggers were sniffing around the large run and my outdoor playpen cage for the babies. DH thought they might be after the veggies I had put in the run, or possibly smelled the fresh pine boards from a recent renovation in the coop. my question is... are they like coons and will try to break in, or should I not worry about them? I also have a lab pup about 10 minths old who got pretty close, but luckily she backed off when I yelled to her and didn't get quilled. I really dont want them hanging around, and DH is not a live trap kind of guy. (as a couple of them found out) Is there a way to deter them?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As you know, they won't hurt your chickens, but they will chew anything that has been exposed to perspiration/salt. I really don't know how you can discourage them.

3. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Maybe you can irritate them by sticking styrofoam packing blocks on them? They might stay away. (Kidding of course) but it does sound funny.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

5. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Porcupines are hard to deter. They just kind of lumber through life doing as they please!

I know they make a repellent called "Shake Away" (I found this link: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/240212.html ) , you could try that. I've heard that if they are gnawing on your wood surfaces, fences etc. that if you paint the wood with wood preservative they stay away from it.

I've never had to deal with them myself, but hope this helps a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by