1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pork & beer pie - need some advice here!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by sumi, Mar 30, 2012.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hi all, I found a recipe for pork and beer pie and since we just "harvested" two pigs I thought it would be a nice way too use some of the big chops.
    The recipe said to add a bottle (340ml) of beer to approx 3lbs meat. With 500ml vegetable stock. The results were [​IMG]
    I couldn't taste anything for stout!
    My DH very diplomatically suggested we try and "sweeten it up" a bit.
    Any suggestions?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You used stout instead of beer?

I've got a good recipe for Brats with beer and I use a pale lager. Also, I use a good brand of beer, not the cheap stuff. It cooks down, the alcohol evaporates off and the flavor is pretty robust, but the brats can stand up to a lot of flavor.

So, without seeing the recipe, I would suggest a lager instead of stout and cut the amount of beer down. Try 1/2 a bottle instead of a whole bottle. (I am assuming the recipe says how many ounces?)

A couple of things: recipes are just a suggestion. most of them need some adjusting to suit your own tastes. Beer and wine should be used as a flavoring ingredient, not as a main ingredient.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've used stout as the one we get here taste better than any available lager (which is mass produced and not very nice). The recipe did state how much beer to add and I thought it may be a bit much... but how would I know without trying? It was a bit too much!
    I was wondering of adding chutney or chopped dried fruit would improve the flavour. Or does anyone here have a nice pork pie recipe for me? I'm not complaining, but we can only have BBQ'd chops so often [​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Any pork pie I've ever had was a meat, potatoes, and gravy type of thing. Nothing sweet about it.

Stout is a lot stronger than lager, so my only suggestion is to cut the amount of stout you use way down. Perhaps use 1/4 the amount called for. Make up the liquid difference with broth.

Other than that, without seeing the recipe or tasting what you've made, it is impossible to make suggestions. But the one suggestion is easy. If the stout flavor is too strong, then cut back on the amount.

My only other suggestion is that if you don't like the recipe, throw it away and look for another one. The internet is chock full of recipes to try.

5. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Lots of things to do with pork

I've got a boneless pork shoulder in the fridge right now. it will go into the crockpot with about a cup of dry (cleaned) pinto beans. I'll pour a jar of green enchilada sauce over it, add a few onions and some frozen poblano peppers, pour in water deep enough to cover the beans, and simmer it all day.

The meat will be shredded and served in corn tortillas with a slice of fresh avocado.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by