Pork Chop bones?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by keaniebeanie, Aug 26, 2010.

1. keaniebeanie

keaniebeanie Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Vermont
    Ok to feed pork chop bones to pick on? I have given chicken/turkey carcass before but just wanted to make sure with the experts. [​IMG]

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Can't hurt them and if they can find meat they'll eat it. The only thing I have against it is that unless the birds clean it up you've got something there to draw vermin or predators. Certainly don't do it in the evening, give them a whole day to clean it up. I always hold supper leftovers until I release the birds the next morning for this reason.

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Why not, if there is any meat left on them, then you need to clean it up or it may attract vermin or/and predators.

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Mine love pork chop bones. When they are done with them those bones are CLEAN!

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Never gave it a second thought myself. And for all scraps, I do make sure there's plenty of time to eat it all up before night. My family and friends do look at me weird when I tell them to put the chicken bones from dinner into that bowl for the chicken's scraps.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

My dogs would KILL me if I gave THEIR bones to the birds... they're mad enough that they can't eat the chicken... but pork stuffed chicken... I think we'd have a mutiny on our hands.

7. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I was told that the companies which market "heart healthy" lower cholesterol eggs have removed animal meat and byproducts from the chicken feed. So I would assume that if I wanted my girls to lay eggs with lower cholesterol, then I shouldn't supplement their feed with kitchen meat scraps, right?

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Giving dogs cooked bones is a bad idea, especially cooked pork bones. They splinter & can cause injuries. If you want to give your dogs bones, which are good for them, raw bones are the way to go.

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:Giving dogs cooked bones is a bad idea, especially cooked pork bones. They splinter & can cause injuries. If you want to give your dogs bones, which are good for them, raw bones are the way to go.

Growing up, we always gave our dogs bones and it never hurt them..one day i was visiting a friend of mine who had a HUGE Black German Shephard..and this day the dog wasn't home so I asked about him..he had given him (the dog) a bone and during the night it had poked a hole in his intestine and the next morning the dog was dead...since then if my dog happens to find a bone, I freak out..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by