Pork Cracklins OK for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by illinichick, Apr 11, 2008.

1. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I have a large box of pork cracklins and was wondering if my 7 month olds would benefit from the protein? maybe in small amounts such as a weekly treat?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*I'm SURE they would love 'em. If they are salted though-- I wouldn't. . . .

3. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Check the sodium. They dont do well w/ salty foods.

4. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    Don't waste them on chicks, send them to me!!!!

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i didnt know there was protein in cracklins....deep fried fat. Huh, who knew.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Deep-fried pig SKIN, I think, and yeah, surprisely high in protein. . . . and fat. For me, they just get stale too fast down here.

7. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    d.k :

* Deep-fried pig SKIN, I think, and yeah, surprisely high in protein. . . . and fat. For me, they just get stale too fast down here.

I belive that the skins are called pork rines and if cooked right shouldn't be greesey, the fried fat cubes are called cracklins . I have cut up and cooked off alot of lard from hogs. I still use lard as it is the only grease i use except butter. [​IMG]

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*AH!! That's it!! Obviously been a LONG time since hearing my mom's hog-raising stories. . . .[​IMG]

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my grandfather made them when i was a kid, this past weekend was my uncle, dad, son and neighbor making scrapple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by