Porous Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by madamwlf, Jan 28, 2011.

1. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have a question. Does shipping make eggs porous??????

Background:

I just received 6 BCM for an ebay seller and 5 of them are porous. No sign of an air sac at all. The 6th egg has an air sac but it is moving. Should I even bother setting them in the incubator???

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Some hens lay porous eggs, but ever single porous egg I've ever try hatching has hatched. As for the loose air cell every single egg I've tried hatching with one never developed. The eggs you cant see the air cell they are fine just perhaps very fresh. Good luck on your hatch.

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I sure hope so. I'm letting them sit until tomorrow before setting them.

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I am on the opposite end of the spectrum... I've never hatched a porous egg but I have successfully hatched eggs with broken air cells... Put them in a carton the entire incubation period with the aircell on top.. This will allow the chick to grow as it normally would...

Goddess [​IMG]

5. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I just hatched 5 out of 24 with seriously broken air cells...half went in carton, half on floor and only floor has hatched. I think it had to do with the heat though. Good luck!

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have hatched porous eggs no problem but I have had no luck hatching those with broken air cells. If I was you I would atleast try you never know until you try.

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I've had luck hatching both - porous and broken air sacs. I agree; try and see what happens.

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I've never had broken air sacs (all mine I get are fresh! [​IMG] ) but porous eggs will almost always hatch for me. Granted, they don't get shipped but just my 0.02 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by