Port Jefferson Village NY

flythecoop

Hatching
9 Years
May 22, 2010
My husband and I are considering getting a few chickens of our own (4-6) to raise. Our village code does not specifically mention chickens. The only mention made is coop being 50 ft from all property lines. We've had negative experiences with the town in the past, seems like every call to the village is met with a "no" unless you can see it in print. Is there anyone out there that's from this area? Can anyone advise if the larger town code applies over the smaller local village code when no mention is made?

Quote:
Most ordinances will mention poultry (which includes chickens) or fowl (a broader class also including chickens).

Then you have to make certain that your lot is in a zone that allows the activity as a legal use of the land.

Then you have HOA rules and various restrictions & Covenants that may have been placed upon the lot.

Even then in some places these may or may not be legally enforceable.

Then and only then do you get to setback and other distance requirements (and be careful here as there can be more than one set of distances involved).

First thing you have to do is determine which zoning and code authorities have jurisdiction. Once you have made that determination you can then look up the various things that the Fox suggestged. One thing I will note about your "every call to the village is met with a "no" unless you can see it in print" is that virtually all cities have a section of code called the Rules of Construction. A very common rule of construction is that anything not specifically allowed is prohibited.

Back
Top Bottom