Portable coop design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lenka, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Lenka

Lenka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    hey y'all, I have a question- Im looking to build a small coop for my hens. This would be their "summer house" so Im thinking of something small (basically something big enough for some roosts and a feeder and nest boxes). I need something thats moveable either by 1 or 2 ppl or a tractor... I have 10 hens currently.

if anyone has any ideas or links to sites, that would be great!!

thanks in advance!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    in my signature there is a link -looking-for-plans-similar-to- it is the instructions on building a small coop/run. if you left the flower box off of it, it would make a descent tractor design. read all the way though, i didnt figure all the materials in the beginning.

3. Lenka

Lenka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    SO after months of not really doing anything... my dad and I went though several designs and finally agreed on an A frame coop ( we designed one that wasn't.... and could be pulled by a tractor.. was complicated....) and then last weekend, he decided it was time to actually make it, and made the chickens an awesome little portable coop. I love it, its got enough space for them to go in to roost, has 3 nest boxes (though we might make it 2 since they might be a bit tight) and has room for a small feeder and waterer. We then put up a removable/portable fence around it (road and animal issues here) and the chickens are in heaven! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

we're thinking of either making windows... or setting up a solar, or battery powered light to help coax them in at night, since its really dark inside the coop when I want them to go in....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by