PORTABLE COOP PLANS or just WORDS OF WISDOM!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickaroo!, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I REALLY need to build my 4 hens a portable coop and was wondering if anyone had some good plans to share? I rescued them in Oct. '07 from an older gentleman who was looking to downsize his flock and have been battling roundworm and other parasites ever since![​IMG] I've taken 2 to the vet and she highly reccomended that I put them in a portable coop for awhile so I can try to kill off whatever is in their run right now. I'm too "chicken"[​IMG] to let them free range (too many roaming animals around my way---hawks, dogs, cats, etc). I want to do whaterver is best for my babies. The poor things have had runny poo & this morning I saw one throw up a clear liquid. I've been worming them with Wazine and raking the run often, as well as spreading DE in the coop/run. I clean the coop throughly every morning and change their water daily, but cannot seem to get them all healthy:hit

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any plans to share or just some words of wisdom!!![​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Check out the Coop Design pages. There are tons of great ideas in there! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    my only word of semi-wisdom is to carefully add up what your intended design will weigh - it is extremely common for tractors to wind up difficult or near-impossible to move [​IMG]

Worst offenders are: construction using lotsa 2x4's (good-quality 2x2 and 2x1 is fine for most of it); excessively-thick plywood ( with good framework, 3/8 is fine for walls, maybe a little thicker for a flattish roof); and shingling the roof (don't).

Have fun,

Pat

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
  5. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Hopefully my hubby will be able to whip something up from the ideas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by