Portable Coop/Run...Do I need to provide dust bath for them?

festivefeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
My husband constructed a portable coop for our 6 chickens.

We wanted this type of coop/run so that our lawn would not be brought to a total dirt patch. However, with moving the coop every week or so, I am not sure the chickens will have access to a dust bath.

Should we provide them with one? Making a framed surface with sand or soil in it for them to use as a dust bath?

Here are some photos of the coop and run in progress:
IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

Thanks.
Jessica

Last edited:
Oh, if your chickens are anything like mine, they'll get right to work making themselves a dustbath, by digging a pit in your lawn. Honest
smile.png

You can try making them a portable one; but it will smother out the grass underneath it (may not matter if you're really going to leave them in place for a week, as the rest of the ground will get thoroughly thrashed too and the place where the dusting box was will probably end up as the *good* part
tongue.png
) and not all chickens seem to want to use smallish (like less than 2x2+) dusting boxes. You'll have to remove it to move the tractor of course.

No reason not to try it if you want, I just wouldn't hold my breath for it to work exactly as desired
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

This weekend we just found our chickens (8wks) trying to dust in our tractor. I went and got some ash and set it out there for them and they all seem happy, but I was just telling my dad that I can't imagine moving that around with their tractor every time. How often to they need to get thoroughly dusted? Will they do it every day? They loved the ashes. I would love to hear how other people do it with the tractor.

Ya, I don't know, that's why my husband was going to build some sort of tray for them in the portable unit so they could dust.

Not sure.

Will they tear up the grass in a week? There are only 6.

Jessica

Quote:
Yes.

There are only 6.

But they are mighty!
wink.png

On my lawn, probably comparable to yours, *2* hens in a 4x7 tractor produce an easily noticeable effect after just 1 day, and if I leave it in one place for more than 2 days it takes a month or more to start looking like the rest of the lawn again.

JME,

Pat​

Back
Top Bottom