Portable dust bath question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mother_hen6, Feb 16, 2011.

1. mother_hen6

mother_hen6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Palo Alto, CA
    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a small portable dust bath. I have a small coop and yard but sometimes they have to stay in the coop or it is raining and the ground is muddy. Also, would I fill it with sand or dirt? You can see pictures of my coop on the "Chickens & Gardens blog" part of my website www.workdychickenpictures.com so you can get some idea of what I am dealing with. It is about 5.5 feet square so whatever I make for them can't be too big. Also is there a way to keep them from pooping in it? If anyone has experience with this I would love to hear.

2. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    A mix of sand and soft, loose soil works best for dustbathing. I'm considering getting one of those kiddie wading pools and filling it with sand and dirt and putting it in the run with my birds. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My chickens have taken dust baths in big salad bowls before. I like to use a cat litter box and fill it with sand and soil like the above post says.

4. cluckin_crazy

cluckin_crazy Green Bot

Nov 29, 2009
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    A large plant saucer works well too! [​IMG]

6. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I don't know how big that pan is but if you have room for it, I would use it! I have two of those from home depot but they're too big for my coops. That would be great if you had a lot of chickens!

7. mother_hen6

mother_hen6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wow some great ideas so far. Here is the corrected link if you want to see the size of my coop.
    You can see pictures of my coop on the "Chickens & Gardens blog" part of my website www.workdaychickenpictures.com so you can get some idea of what I am dealing with. It is about 5.5 feet square so whatever I make for them can't be too big.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have used a concrete mixing tray.

9. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Cardboard boxes wear out quickly, and my hens try to eat them

10. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have a galvanized bucket that normally would hold ice and drinks. I have one part sand, one part soil and one part sifted ashes from fireplace and alittle DE. (found this on one of the threads). Works great. I use stacked bricks for stairs so they can get in and out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by