Portable Pens

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
I know this subject has been brought up many times. I just got Joel Salatins book Pastured Poultry yesterday and read it today. I was hoping for some more info on his portable pens.

I have been digging around for better images of his style pen (wood and some good plans)
I would like to compare or figure how weight comparisons compared to 2.5" or 3" pvc.

Or any other portable pens that may work to raise 80 meat birds and 15 turkeys. I am on a acre so trying to find the best thing to use and move around my lot and so that when I am away my wife could move it.

I am also trying to find some images of portable rabbit pens/hutches. Does anyone have any info on them? I would like to possibly add a couple of rabbits for food and for my girls and would like to leave them in a portable pen that my kids could easily get to and play/pet them. Also, what may be the best type of rabbit for eating? At what age do you process? How many clutches can a female have per year (raise and then let go before the next batch)

Thanks

You need to get your hands on a copy of "Day Range Poultry" by Andy Lee and Patricia Foreman. Tons of good info on different styles of pens. The biggest determining factor seems to be what kind of predators you might have to deal with. Also check out the Meat forum here on BYC.

Back
Top Bottom