Portable run flooring

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by qeqivah, Mar 30, 2012.

1. qeqivah

qeqivah Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Overton County, TN
    I will be building a portable run for the hens that I can butt up against the coop in the mornings (load 'em up...move 'em out [​IMG]). There are some fantastic ones here on BYC but I have been unable to find how to address keeping the birds inside while you move it. I'm assuming there is some kind of flooring to keep the chickens in the run while you are moving it to a section of the yard. Am I right? And what would you use?

2. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    like a tracto??? not sure I would see the point if it had a floor....my portable coop has a dirt/grass floor. I move it and they follow behind.

3. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    I have a portable run and when I move the run I either use a small carrier that they can walk into or I just pick them up by hand and move them to the new run set up. How many birds do you have?
    I don't have any pictures of my carrier, but it is about 3'x1'x1 1/2' high. I just place it on the end of one of my runs and the girls just walk in and we move to the next spot. They move so often that they are quite use to the way I move them. My runs are modular so I can set up a few section, then add the chickens and then finish assembling my run. I have pictures in my default album of the runs. The carrier is made in a similar fashion, just smaller.

4. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    I forgot to mention that I do not have a floor in the run. These are working chickens for my garden and they need to be able to scratch and dig. If it had a floor they wouldn't be able to do there job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by