portable saw mill for the lumber?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mohillbilly, Feb 13, 2012.

1. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    does anyone have a portable saw mill that they use to get their lumber for building with?
    I just ordered one out of Florida, I plan on using it to cut the lumber I need for my coops and runs.

2. FreedomLover

FreedomLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Romance
    Don't have one but are planning on getting some sort of saw mill to cut the lumber for quite a few of our projects on the homestead. Don't want to spend too much on one since that would defeat the purpose somewhat.

We're simply looking at an alaskan chainsaw mill as an inexpensive alternative.

3. mohillbilly

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    you will kill yourself with that as you have to cut on your knees ....there is a better one for use with a chainsaw on Ebay ....I think the guy building them name on there is pantera

4. FreedomLover

FreedomLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Romance
    LOL .. well "I" wouldn't kill myself, since my 24 y.o. son would be doin it ;)

But I'll look into the ebay guy! Thanks for the info

5. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    Mohillbilly, what brand did you get? I'm planning to purchase one (Oscar 118) this spring from Hudson. It's small and should suit me fine.

6. mohillbilly

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    mine is one of the chainsaw sawmills from pantera as I cant get a bandmill into the trees I have to cut up.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Since you live in Poplar Bluff, I would guess you have some sort of poplar trees in your area. Are those the type of trees you will use to cut into lumber?

If you have land with trees, I would guess you could save some money with one of those portable chainsaw mills.

8. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    I have been looking for months and found one on www.craigslist.com
    It is a 2007 Oscar 18 Horizontal Bandmill and it's $2200.
    Now I just have to talk the wife into spending some of our tax return. lol

9. mohillbilly

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    no I have never seen a poplar tree around here I guess they cut them down when they started Poplar Bluff[​IMG]
    I will be cutting mostly red and white oak along with some Hickory, and red cedar

10. Arty

Arty Out Of The Brooder

I would love to be able to afford a sawmill, but just can't justify it. I bought the Alaskan Sawmill, and it works. It is hard work, but very doable and I still have all my body parts. The chicken coop building will begin soon. I like the idea of building the coop on the same site from where the materials were harvested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the chickens love the sawdust. They moved in and claimed the area as a dustbath. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally got the photos to load. This site has a strange way of loading photos.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by