portland/cement and peanut butter?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by slightlyscrambled, Dec 1, 2010.

1. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have read on here that using plaster of paris and PB mixed into a ball is a good "remedy" for rats, would portland and PB work as well. I have wondered for some time if we had rats in the barn b/c feed had gone missing and we had found the back end remains of a rat in the drive this summer left over from the cats ... anyhoo I saw one tonight scurry across the floor in the coop when I did head count and locked up. Now I need to know how to get rid of it. Thanks in advance

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    If the plaster of Paris works, I don't see any reason that Portland cement would work just as well. The Portland cement will also have a high lime content. The lime will cause caustic burns. If my Berber dog was still alive, I would just bring her over, and she would take care of things very quickly. She was the best rater I have ever known. I would really suggest rat bait, as the most effective option.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would recommend snap traps or in the least place your bait in a jar that only rats/mice can get into. To many animals like the peanut butter. The cement might harden faster than the plaster.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I tried this last summer. What I didn't know is that apparently POP (plaster) has always been a target of rodents whether it has PB in it or not. Consequently, a chemical was added to it to make it unpalatable to rodents. I couldn't figure out why nothing was touching the PB/POP balls I had placed all over the place. I didn't end up killing a single thing because nothing would eat the balls. I am not sure if cement would work although theoretically it should. I used snap traps and a .22 this year. They were much more effective.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by