Portland, Maine now allows chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by SeaChick, Feb 19, 2009.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Portland, Maine's largest city, voted last night to lift the ban on chickens. Residents can now raise up to 6 hens (no roosters) and must pay a $25 per year fee to do so. Coops must be 20 feet from a neighbor's residence and 5 feet from the property line.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=240265&ac=PHnws

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I am in Hermon. I just was watching this on the news this morning. I think I'd die if I lived in a city or town where I couldn't have chickens. [​IMG]

3. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. cellochck

cellochck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Union, ME
    I was SOOO happy to hear this! I think more cities should get on board! It turns out that Camden, ME has an ordinance that doesn't allow livestock, including chickens. People are petitioning to get the ordinance to make it okay to have chickens. There was an article on villagesoup.com.

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I had JUST heard this from my tax lady this morning- YAY for CHICKENS!!!!

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:i used to know a guy in herman that had llamas and a few ostrich's man he was crazy,,, guess being a state councilor can do that to ya lol.

bout time portland smartened up !! [​IMG]

7. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Congrats to every one living in Portland, Maine..

If such a large city allows chickens, then maybe more towns & citys will allow them in the future. [​IMG]

8. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:I'm glad to see that the city officals voted to allow raising chickens in town for a fee . [​IMG] Did the vote come down to "we need to raise more cash from somewhere? Glad I live in the country in N.H.
    To the Peeple of portland woo hoo [​IMG] [​IMG]
    :cool :[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

10. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i used to know a guy in herman that had llamas and a few ostrich's man he was crazy,,, guess being a state councilor can do that to ya lol.

bout time portland smartened up !! [​IMG]

Last I was there, the guy in hermon still had them [​IMG] My mom used to and brother still does live there in Hermon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by