Portland Oregon chicken parents — Help !!

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
Anyone in the Portland area, what are the chicken laws? I have 12 chickens and 1 rooster. We’re moving there from SoCal in a couple months. My chickens are so tame and my rooster as well. He wears a crow collar so he’s not too loud, but I’m really worried about someone complaining just to be a jerk. My chickens are like my babies and my son who is autistic cares for them and loves them deeply. Could I possibly file for a permit? Not really sure how it works. Right now we live on a large property with no neighbors so I’ve never had to deal with any chicken ordinances.

It really depends on where in the metro you will be. For example, there is an area of Aloha that falls under the unincorporated boundaries, yet is very much "in town" where no restrictions exist, most areas have restrictions against crowing birds and a limit on numbers well under your current count.
That said, there are many areas right outside the metro where you would be outside of city limits but could easily be commutable to work in the metro.
Do you have an idea where you'll settle? Do you plan to rent or buy? For the latter, making your agent aware of your wishes regarding regulation could direct where they help you look....for the former you need not only consider ordinances but also finding a landlord to allow them.

It really depends on where in the metro you will be. For example, there is an area of Aloha that falls under the unincorporated boundaries, yet is very much "in town" where no restrictions exist, most areas have restrictions against crowing birds and a limit on numbers well under your current count.
That said, there are many areas right outside the metro where you would be outside of city limits but could easily be commutable to work in the metro.
Do you have an idea where you'll settle? Do you plan to rent or buy? For the latter, making your agent aware of your wishes regarding regulation could direct where they help you look....for the former you need not only consider ordinances but also finding a landlord to allow them.
My husband really wants a place in the city, like NE area. But myself on the other hand, would like to live a bit outside of the city so we can get more bang for our buck. We’re going to be renting, and we also have a large dog so he will need a yard. I’m going to have to do some persuading but I think he will be open to living somewhat outside city limits so that we can keep our chickens. They are my son’s unofficial therapy animals. He’s 6 y/o with autism and he has raised them from chicks. He feeds them, holds them, and loves on them. The rooster is his favorite!! They’re so cute!

98E6947E-4C8B-492F-8AFB-E7D4F4FD18F3.jpeg

Anyone in the Portland area, what are the chicken laws? I have 12 chickens and 1 rooster. We’re moving there from SoCal in a couple months. My chickens are so tame and my rooster as well. He wears a crow collar so he’s not too loud, but I’m really worried about someone complaining just to be a jerk. My chickens are like my babies and my son who is autistic cares for them and loves them deeply. Could I possibly file for a permit? Not really sure how it works. Right now we live on a large property with no neighbors so I’ve never had to deal with any chicken ordinances.
In order to raise more than three chickens in Portland, residents must build a humane enclosure at least 15 feet away from their home, and obtain a permit from the city. But a permit isn’t required if you have less than three hens

Back
Top Bottom