Portland, Oregon: Flock of 3 free pet Bantam hens needs a new family

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by FlockofThree, Jan 13, 2008.

1. FlockofThree

FlockofThree New Egg

Mar 17, 2007
    We have to sell our home and move and our hens cannot go with us.

They are four years old and only lay eggs once or twice a week now.

A Black silkie, a Golden Mille Fleur and a Silver Seabright.

All healthy. All friendly with children. Wood coop goes with them and the flock is accustomed to free ranging in a suburban back yard during the day.

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry you have to give them all up..........if only I was closer.........

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I see you posted about scaly leg mites on here with one of them. Was that problem ever solved? Someone posted that its a hard thing to get rid of. I'm not familiar with it and was wondering about it.

4. Maddhatter

Maddhatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    How big is the coop and whats your time frame.
    Thanks
    Karl

5. FlockofThree

FlockofThree New Egg

Mar 17, 2007
    Quote:Yes this is the same group of birds with the one that had leg issues. I never had a poultry vet check the one hen, but at the advice of our regular vet, I did take scrapings from the legs in several places and there were no creepy crawlers apparent under the microscope. Secondly, the other two birds in the group never developed the scales lifting on their legs.

Ultimately, I followed the advice here of cleaning off the compacted mud and grime, and smoothing vaseline on them over the winter. The bird's legs exhibited no further symptoms.

This winter with the rain and flooding we have averted problems by keeping the outdoor run above water and not letting them out into the mud and wet of the yard.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats good. You were lucky to not have a bigger problem. I'm glad it turned out good for all.

7. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I am interested I sent you an email. If you still have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by